Registration for Northeastern Student Storage is now closed. If you have any questions, you can contact us at [email protected]
Instructions To Register for Northeastern Student Storage
- Fill out the form below to register for Northeastern Student Storage. This will add you to the list of student shipments to be picked up by the team.
- Pick up boxes at West Village G, Speare Hall, International Village
- Download, print, and complete labels. Use tape to adhere labels to all boxes, furniture, and belongings going to storage. Please note that any box or item without a label will NOT be picked up for storage.
- Pack, seal, and label your belongings in the provided boxes. All belongings MUST be completely packed in a sealed & labeled box in order to be taken for storage. All furniture must have a label adhered to the piece or it will not be picked up by the moving crew. Follow the packing instructions provided at the bottom of this page.
- Stack all your packed and labeled belongings in one part of the room. After the students have departed, the moving crew will pick up all of the student belongings and transport them to secure storage.
- In the next 2-4 weeks, you will receive an email from Olympia Moving & Storage confirming the number of items that have been picked up.
- Your belongings will be delivered directly to your new dorm prior to the fall semester, or when you return to campus if earlier than fall semester. Instructions concerning delivery will be sent to you prior to your return to campus.
Northeastern is covering the cost of student pick up, storage, and delivery or the duration of March 16, 2020 to Fall move-in 2020 (no later than September 7, 2020).
2-4 weeks after your belongings have been picked up, you will receive an email from Olympia Moving & Storage confirming the number of items that have been picked up. Olympia will deliver your belongings to your new dorm prior to the start of classes.
*Items delivered outside of the standard schedule (at the request of the student) may incur additional charges priced on an individual basis.
Storage Label Instructions
Please use tape to adhere the labels to all boxes and furniture going to storage.
Every box and furniture piece must be labeled. All required information must be completed on the label, including:
- Your full name
- Your current room assignment
- Your student ID
- Your cell phone number
- Your email
In addition, please write your name and student ID on the outside of the box (separate from the label).
Please put all items together against a wall with labels facing into the room to avoid confusion. Items must be separated per individual.
Northeastern is supplying moving supplies to each resident. These supplies are available at West Village G, Speare Hall, International Village
- Small Boxes 16x12x12: use for Books, CDs, etc.
- Medium Boxes 18x18x18: use for Pots, Pans, Shoes, etc.
- Large: Boxes 24x18x18: use for Linens, Clothing, etc.
- Tape Rolls
Follow the below-packing instructions to help ensure a successful relocation:
Protect the Contents
Be sure to properly protect the contents within each box.
- If possible, use the original boxes to pack electronics.
- Use clothes and towels to pack fragile items such as china, picture frames, mugs, etc.
- Make certain that items inside boxes are secure enough so that they cannot move around inside the box. Use clothing, towels, blankets, or crumpled newspaper to fill open spaces.
- Do NOT pack any liquids.
Watch What You Pack
There are some items you should take with you, as Northeastern does not insure against loss or damage. These include:
- Jewelry, coins, cash, gift cards, and collectibles.
- Items of intangible value.
- Important documents such as passports and birth certificates.
- Electronics containing important or valuable data.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Liability is limited to sixty (60) cents per pound per article and fragile items that were not packed correctly will not be covered.
Distribute the Weight Evenly
To protect the integrity of the boxes, please pack heavier items in smaller boxes.
- Books should only be packed in the smallest boxes.
- It is a good idea to place the heavier objects as close to the center of the box as possible to help maintain the structural integrity of the container.
Secure and Seal Your Items
- Boxes: In sealing your boxes, you should place tape along each seam of the box. Do not use masking tape or string.
- Carpets & Rugs: Make sure your carpets and rugs are rolled tightly, secured with tape, and covered in plastic to keep them free from dust.
- File Cabinets & Desks: Be sure to empty all drawers.
- Shelves: Separate the shelves from the frame, and tape them together tightly. Store any loose hardware in one of your boxes.
- Refrigerators: Unplug your fridge TWO DAYS before move out. Make sure your fridge is completely empty, defrosted, and dry at the time of pickup. Secure loose items inside of the fridge and tape the door shut. Bundle and tape the power cord to the back of the fridge, behind the cooling coils so it is not “dangling” on the ground.
- Trunks and Luggage: Make sure that these items are locked or securely taped to prevent the contents from spilling during handling.
Frequently Asked Questions
There have been a number of questions related to the University’s storage program, and we wanted to provide clarification for the recurring questions:
Question: Where do I leave my items?
Answer: All items should be left in your room, grouped together, with the labels facing out (labels are available to be printed at: www.olympiamoving.com/nustudent
Question: If the student is planning to return for the summer semester or for a coop, is it possible to get an early delivery?
Answer: Yes, the plan is to have a regularly scheduled delivery tied to both the summer semester and the summer coop (if conditions allow for a resumption of campus activity).
Question: Is it possible to pack items in non-Olympia boxes?
Answer: Yes, we would just ask that you make sure that the boxes are structurally sound, properly sealed, and labelled appropriately.
Question: Is it possible to have items picked up from University Housing that is not a “dorm”.
Answer: Yes, as long as the University has access to your building and your room.
Question: When will my belongings be collected?
Answer: The student property will be collected in the coming week and only after all of the students have left the campus. The specific order of the pickup will be determined after the registration process is complete.
Question: I am a senior, can I still use this program and have access to my property prior to September?
Answer: Yes, but please be advised that if the delivery schedule is outside of the pre-determined windows there may be some additional costs which would be the responsibility of the student.
If you have any further questions concerning your storage, please email [email protected]