So you have contracted a mover and have a scheduled moving date…what next?
Moving Supplies Delivery
If you have not already done so, setup a moving supplies delivery through your moving company. Deliveries are free (provided you are within a certain radius of the office), and obtaining materials from a moving company is usually less expensive than one of the “big box stores”. Most moving companies will also be willing to deliver materials to your residence; even if you are moving yourself.
Ordering Moving Supplies
When ordering materials, consider the following:
1) People always underestimate the number of boxes required to complete their packing. Be conservative in your estimation.
2) Find moving supplies here to help you determine what kinds of boxes you will need. The basic rule of thumb is that heavier items (books, canned goods) should be placed in smaller boxes.
3) Order one role of tape for every 8-10 boxes.
4) Order one “ream” of paper for every 10-15 boxes (the more fragile items you have, the more paper will be required).
5) Ask whether the moving company has any used or recycled packing supplies that they could provide at a discounted rate. This is an environmentally friendly way to save money.
Organize Your Moving Boxes
Once you receive your packing supplies, keep them organized in a specific area to avoid unwanted clutter. Label each box carefully and stack the boxes in tiers against the wall so that the movers have access to all of your goods.
Now that you know where to find moving boxes, let us help you pack them. We have quite a few videos that show you how to pack common household items.