Electronics are often both valuable and fragile. Packing and transporting these items can seem intimidating; however with the proper supplies and methods, you can ensure that televisions, computers, DVD players, and gaming consoles will safely reach their destination.
The first step is to check owner’s manuals to see if there are any special packing or moving instructions. If you lost the manuals, you can often find an online version at the manufacturer’s website.
Next, gather the right materials for packaging these items. Using the original box is ideal, however if you did not save the original packaging, Olympia also sells boxes; including special flat-screen TV boxes. Olympia can also build custom crates to transport larger electronics.
When packing, use static free bags to pack all related wires and cables. Protect your item with bubble wrap or paper and include related manuals, accessories, and remotes in the same box so you won’t lose them later. Careful labeling will help to ensure that you can reconfigure your electronics properly at the new residence.
Boxes containing electronics should be designated as “FRAGILE’ and noted on the top and sides of the relevant containers.
If you are not comfortable to pack your own electronics, Olympia offers complete packing services. Should you require these services, please contact your move coordinator to ensure availability.
Having trouble envisioning yourself packing that fridge or TV? Check out our how-to videos for a step-by-step in packing common household items.
Summer is always the busiest time in the moving industry, but this season in particular has seen a significant increase in demand. The following tips should help to ensure a smooth transition to your new home.
- Call Olympia as early as possible to get a quote, and do not wait too long to book your move. As schedules fill, moving companies sometimes block dates with the highest demand in order to manage resources. Dates at the beginning and the end of the month are usually the first to fill up, so be sure to book your move as early as possible to ensure availability.
- While there are several excellent moving companies in Greater Boston and Washington D.C., there are also a host of bad movers. Understand that when it comes to moving, price and value are not synonymous.
- Create a move plan and adhere to this plan in the weeks leading up to relocation. Check out our planning calendar to help you put together your move plan.
- Use Olympia’s moving resource page to help you fully prepare for all the details of your move.
- Remember that effective communication, planning, and preparation are the key elements of a successful move. Be sure to talk to your move coordinator if there are any changes to your move. Changes you would want to communicate to your coordinator include the addition of extra stops, large discrepancies (increases or decreases) in the number of items you’re moving vs. your estimate, the need for additional packing, or the addition of a bulky or fragile item to your move.
At Olympia Moving & Storage, we understand that each and every employee we hire is a reflection of who we are. We look for movers who are good communicators, accountable for their actions, and interested in becoming leaders within the organization.
After making it through the interview process, new employees are put through a rigorous two week training program. This program focuses on both classroom exercises and technical training. During this time, crew members learn everything from the proper technique for protecting an antique piece of furniture to customer service skills.
Upon graduation, new crew members are paired with more experienced personnel, so their development can continue in the field. The expectation is that these employees will become capable of managing their own crews in time.
Job visits are completed by Olympia’s staff in order to gauge client satisfaction and ensure the consistency of the service we are providing. Monthly claims reports and client satisfaction surveys inform the ongoing training and act as an objective measure of performance. These numbers also provide the basis for selecting the employee of the month in each office location.
Every year Olympia makes a significant investment in its personnel; an investment that has paid significant dividends for our clients. We are extremely proud of the service we provide and the people that make this a great company to work for.
For information on joining the Olympia Team, please contact Josh Croteau at: 617-231-1229 or [email protected]