When it’s time to move to a new home, that could also mean its time to slim down on what you have in your home before the relocation. A garage sale is the perfect way to do it & make some money while you’re at it! Here is a countdown checklist on how to execute the perfect garage sale!
One Month Before Garage Sale:
- Get A Date in Mind. Once you have a target date, it will help you remain organized and work towards your goals for the big day.
- Trash the Trash! As you begin to go through the things you no longer want, separate in to three piles. “Keep, Throw, Sell”
- Look in to City Requirements & Regulations. Make sure your town or city does not have any specific restrictions that prohibit posting signs around town.
- Do a some research. Do a little basic research, pricing on antique items and one of a kind pieces. The things you have could have more value than you expect them to!
- Ask neighbors and friends for grocery bags. Also start to collect folding tables to display the items on.
Two Weeks Before the Garage Sale:
- Go through the items in your “keep” pile, make sure you still want to keep them in your possession, if not move them over to the sell.
- Begin to clean and organize your “sell” items – The better condition they are in, the more money they will be worth!
- Start thinking about pricing – Buy pricing materials & stickers and start a tentative pricing list for the items.
One Week Before the Garage Sale:
- Begin to distribute ads around town. Post on local town pages & Facebook. Let your friends and family know.
- Finalize your pricing. Take the list you made a few weeks prior and begin to label all of your items.
- Go to the bank. Make sure you have plenty of change, all size bills and coins should be in your possession for the day of the sale.
- Watch the weather. If rain looks like it could be a factor maybe make alternative plans
- Have all your sales materials in order. Bags, change, newspaper wrapping, calculator & pens.
One Day Before the Garage Sale:
- Make sure you have enough signs around town, the day before is the most important day for advertising!
- Mark off things around the site of the sale as “Not for Sale” – you don’t want anyone trying to buy you potted plants!
- Check the weather, again – make sure you are good to go for the next day!
The Day of the Garage Sale!
- Wake up well before the start time of the sale to get everything arranged outside, put the small valuable things close to you so you can keep any eye on them.
- Organize your items by category so it is easy for customers to browse your sale
- Lock your home. When you’re busy selling you don’t want to have to worry about your home. Safety precaution!
The idea of a garage sale can be extremely overwhelming. When you break it down by week it can make the day of worry free! Once you know what you would like to move to your new home. We promise to provide you with exceptional service.
For more yard and garage tips, be sure to check out our other blog: Creating the Most Successful Yard Sale Possible
Done decluttering and ready to start moving? Request a free moving estimate online or give Olympia Moving & Storage a call at 800-222-4744