Olympia Moving & Storage offers a professional packing and unpacking service. If you choose to pack yourself, you can order custom moving materials from Olympia. These materials can be picked up from our office, or we can arrange a free box delivery.
The following packing tips will help to ensure a smooth transition. This is also available as a packing tips PDF download here:
1. Label boxes carefully. Clearly label the top and two adjacent sides with your last name, the name of the room, and the contents of the container. If you pack a fragile item into a box, please mark the box accordingly. You should pack similar items together.
2. Use sturdy boxes. If you pack items in used boxes, select only boxes that are strong and uniform in size and shape. Cross out any old markings. Do not use any boxes that will not withstand stacking.
3. You should adhere to the following suggestions in preparing for your move:
• Book Box (small-1.5 cubic feet) – Pack books, magazines, canned goods, and records in these boxes. Heavy items such as books or canned goods should always be packed in a small box so that the weight does not jeopardize the structural integrity of the container.
• Linen Box (medium – 3.1 cubic feet) – Pack small appliances, pots and pans, shoes, lampshades, and linens in these boxes.
• Large Box (4.5 cubic feet) – Pack comforters, baskets, large pots and pans, linens, lamps, and lampshades in these boxes.
• Dish Pack (5.2 cubic feet) – Pack your china, stemware, small pictures, and any items that require extra protection in these boxes. The dish pack box has an extra layer of cardboard to make this box stronger. Make sure to use plenty of paper to wrap each item.
• Lampshade Box (6.1 cubic feet) – Pack lampshades, plastic toys, and large comforters in these boxes.
• Mirror/Picture Cartons (various sizes) – Pack all pictures and mirrors into these cartons. Place layers of paper on the bottom and top of the carton and pack paper in between each picture. It is recommended that you use bubble-craft to wrap each picture. Olympia Moving & Storage will not be responsible for unboxed pictures and mirrors.
4. Use packing paper (25 lb. bundle) to wrap dishes, cups, glasses, and misc. fragile items. Be generous in your use of paper. Paper is much less expensive than the items it is protecting. Do not use newspaper. The ink from the newsprint will rub off on your belongings.
5. Always use plastic packing tape. Tape both the top and bottom of each box with at least two strips across the seam.
BOSTON | WASHINGTON D.C. | PHILADELPHIA | AUSTIN
Toll Free: 800.222.4744
www.olympiamoving.com Agent for Wheaton Interstate Moving