What is my local move estimate based on?
- Your Olympia estimator will take the time to walk through your move, and build your estimate based on the number and type of items you are transporting. The estimate is based upon time and materials and is calculated from when the crew leaves the warehouse until they return. Also please note there may be a minimum charged number of hours for jobs serviced out of our Boston area warehouse.
What is my interstate move estimate based on?
- Although there are some additional variables considered when providing an interstate estimate, the primary factors are weight, distance and packing.
How accurate will my estimate be?
- Moving is a reciprocal process – so your estimator is working with the information provided by you, the client. Assuming, no significant changes 15% plus or minus is considered an acceptable threshold.
How and when is payment made?
- Prior to the day of the move, we require a 50% deposit, and the remaining balance will be charged, automatically, upon completion of the move. Interstate moves do not require a deposit. Payment moves for interstate moves is required once the final weights of the shipment are obtained, and prior to delivery.
Do you provide packing materials?
- Olympia provides a wide variety of packing supplies and additional resources to help support you throughout your move. To order supplies, or for additional information, click here.
- We offer delivery of packing supplies to your residence for a minimal delivery fee.
What are the key elements of a successful move?
- Communication! We cannot stress this enough. It is very important to keep the lines of communication open and to discuss changes in scope with your Olympia Coordinator prior to your move day.
- Labeling your boxes carefully. This will save you and the team significant time when unloading your items and as you settle into your new residence. Olympia offers free printable labels!
- For all boxed items, label the top and 2 adjacent sides with
- destination room
- your name
- For all boxed items, label the top and 2 adjacent sides with
- Stacking boxes around the perimeter of the room 1 row deep, so the movers have access to all items at any time.
How do I avoid surprises on my move day?
- Please click here to browse our Move Planning Center which has blogs, videos, articles and more to help you plan. Following are a few import tips:
- Communicate, Communicate, Communicate!!
- If there are any special circumstances, please make sure to discuss these with your sales representative and/or your moving coordinator.
- If changes arise, reach out to your dedicated coordinator and we can adapt and adjust accordingly.
- Surprises cost time and money, so communicating changes is critical to a smooth move.
- Be prepared! The crew needs your full attention, last minute packing while the crew is working in the residence costs time and money. § Download one of our planning calendars here. This is a helpful tool that frames out the weeks leading up to move day.
What do I absolutely need to do in the weeks leading up to my move?
- Once you have confirmed your booking with Olympia Moving & Storage, you will see links in your email to address the following:
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Pay the 50% deposit through our secure portal ($400 in NJ/PA). o Make a valuation selection – The link here details all your options for liability coverage.
What should I expect from Olympia Moving & Storage leading up to move day?
- We take pride in our communication and will send you several emails to make sure you are prepared for move day. Our communication flow is designed to eliminate unwanted surprises.
- You will be assigned a dedicated moving coordinator who will guide you through the process.
- You can expect 3 separate calls leading up to the day of the move, and 1 call the day of the move to check in and provide any needed support.
- You are welcome to call your dedicated moving coordinator at any point.
- Who do I call if you have any questions?
- Your dedicated moving coordinator, as notated in your emails and in your portal, will have all the information related to your specific move.
- If you cannot reach your dedicated coordinator, feel free to call 1 800 222 4744 and anyone on our customer service team can assist.
What is expected of me on move day?
- Ensure you are fully ready for your movers to arrive and that there is a clear path in and out of the house with direct access to all items being transported.
- Upon the crew’s arrival, you will lead a walkthrough with the foreman to point out all items being moved. The walkthrough will help the crew understand the scope and provide an opportunity to ask questions.
- Stay on the property, in a central location, for the duration of the move. Make yourself available for questions.
- Once all items are loaded, you will accompany the foreman for a final walkthrough of the residence and confirm, in writing, that all items have been removed.
- During the delivery, it is important to stay in the entry way so that you can direct the movers. Items come off the truck quickly and we need you to be available for questions.
How can I be a great moving client?
- Provide clear directions on moving day.
- Be fully prepared.
- Be decisive and clear on where items should be unloaded into your new home.
- Be fully available to the crew for the entirety of the move day.
- Communicate in advance any changes to your coordinator (additional items, packing requirements, etc..).
What is expected of my movers on move day?
- The crew will show up on time and in uniform.
- There are 2 time windows in which they will show up:
- 7-10am – Our crew will provide a call ahead, and typically arrives within 30 min of the specified start time.
- 12-4pm – Our crew will provide a call ahead. This 4-hr. window allows our teams some flexibility based on the morning schedule and work involved.
- The foreman and crew will introduce themselves and will ask for a walkthrough of the property.
- After the walkthrough, the team will prepare the home for the relocation.
- Our team will treat your family with kindness and respect.
- Once the team has finished loading your items at the origin location, the foreman will obtain a signature from you stating that all items have been removed from the residence.
- After your items are unloaded at the destination location, the foreman will obtain a signature from you stating that all items have been delivered to your satisfaction.
What should I do with jewelry, keys, important documents? Anything I don’t want Olympia to move.
- As you begin the packing process, set aside one area to place these items and clearly communicate your intentions to the crew. A second bathroom is often good place to do this.
- Clearly label the area “do not move.”
- Do the movers take a lunch break?
- On a longer day, crews will typically take a lunch break. You are not charged for this time.
- The movers come prepared with their own drinks. If you wish to provide additional water that is appreciated, but in no way required.
What constitutes a successful move?
- The Olympia crew arrives on time and in uniform.
- The Olympia crew works hard and diligently throughout the day.
- The client’s needs, requests and directions are understood and acted upon.
- The client and their family are treated with courtesy and respect.
- All items are loaded and delivered without incident.
- There is no move day surprises (changes in scope).
- The actual cost, once completed, is within 15% of the quoted total (assuming no scope changes).
- Do we need to tip movers? o This is at your discretion. We suggest taking a look at our blog about this topic!
Does Olympia moving only serve the areas around you warehouses?
- Whether you’re looking for movers in Boston, Philly, D.C., Austin or anywhere in between, we have the experience and network to complete the move no matter how complicated.
- Olympia has over 20 years of moving experience and we service local, national, international and commercial moves to any destination you can think of!
- We’re not just a Boston moving company or a Philly moving company or D.C. moving company or an Austin moving company! We are an experienced, high quality and customer focused moving and storage provider. We have storage services available no matter where you move takes place.