Your Xbox, Playstation, and consoles are sometimes among the most valuable items you are moving. It essential to safely pack gaming equipment so it does not get damaged during the transit of a move. It’s dangerous for your gaming equipment to go alone – take this advice from Olympia for moving your consoles safely.
The Tips for Packing Gaming Equipment
First things first, give your game consoles and electronic equipment a good cleaning or dusting. You don’t want to pack dusty equipment.
Find good packaging
Gather all the packaging you’ll need. The original packaging is the best choice, since it has already been optimized to provide the most protection to your device. If the Xbox or PlayStation box is long gone, check out allcases.com to find the right size hard shell electronics box. Though it is not the best choice, a regular cardboard box close in size to your device will do, as long as you only pack gaming equipment in that box.
Protect your valuables
If you’re not using an original or specialized box, it’s essential to add padding to protect your devices from rattling around, cracking or breaking. Avoid packing peanuts – they give off static electricity which can cause your electronics to short out or reduce their life span. The best packing materials are newspapers, clothes, or anti-static bubble wrap.
Organization is your best friend
Keep cords and controllers with their console. Don’t forget to protect your controllers too! Improper packing can cause loss of sensitivity in the controller’s buttons and joysticks. Neatly wrap the cords and protect each controller individually. Put all the parts of each console into the same box, which will keep each gaming system separated and organized. Avoid packing anything that is not gaming equipment in the same box.
Label your boxes
Meticulously labelled boxes are an unpacker’s best friend. Keep a list on a pad of paper as you pack each item. Noting even the smallest of things will save you time later!
The Best Method to Pack Gaming Equipment
Follow these step by step instructions to safely pack your gaming system:
- Before you unplug anything, make sure you take out any discs or games inside your system. Leaving it inside can damage the game.
- If your system has a rechargeable battery, remove it from the system before packing.
- Wrap the console, controllers, and any accessories per the tips above
- Place a layer of padding on the bottom of the box before putting anything in it. Learn the “burrito method” in our packing basics video.
- Put the individually wrapped items in the box with the heaviest items on the bottom and the lightest on the top
- Fill in any empty spaces with extra padding or paper to make sure pieces don’t shift around during transit
- Place a second layer of padding across the top before you close the box.
- Label your box with everything in it! The more specific you are, the sooner you will be playing games in your new home.
By following these instructions you’ll be able to get to your new home and switch from Pack Man to Pac Man. When you’re ready to move, give us a call at 800.222.4744 or fill out our form for a free moving estimate!