Questions to Ask Your Potential Moving Company
Posted August 4th, 2016 by Rachael Fischer
Either during your in-home survey or over the phone, taking the time to thoroughly discuss your move with a potential moving company is the key to accurate pricing and a successful move. After all, the company will be coming into your home and handling everything you own, so it’s important to find a company you feel comfortable with, especially since there are unfortunately bad or rogue moving companies providing poor service.
When you’re discussing your move, be sure to ask questions about the company. How the company answers will tell you a lot about the quality of the moving company you are considering.
Olympia Moving & Storage compiled a list of questions to ask potential moving companies that can help you navigate through the mover selection process. By asking the following questions you can select a mover that will treat you and your home with respect.
Questions About Moving Costs
This is probably where customers have the most concern. Always make sure you get a written moving estimate for the costs of your move. Here are some questions that are good to clarify about the quote:
- Are supplies such as mattress covers, extra boxes, tape, and moving blankets included in my quote? How much do they cost?
- Is this a binding or non-binding moving estimate?
- What insurance is included? How much does it cost for additional insurance?
- If a deposit is required, is it refundable?
- What forms of payment are accepted? (A company that only accepts cash is a red flag!)
- What are factors that could change the cost of the move? Would changing my move date affect the estiamted cost?
Questions About Moving Pick Up and Deliver Times
- If the company charges an hourly rate ask, when does the chargeable time begin and end? Is travel time included in my estimate?
- If the company does not charge by the hour, how long does the company anticipate being there each day?
- Will my delivery be on a specific day or a delivery spread?
- What happens if I’m not available to receive my delivery?
Questions to Ask About the Moving Service
- Are there any items that are prohibited from being shipped?
- Will I be packing or will the movers?
- How many crew members will arrive on move day?
- Will our belongings ever be transferred onto another truck?
- What happens if something is broken or lost during the move?
About the Moving Company
- Who will be my point of contact leading up to and during move day?
- Are your movers trained and background checked? Are they on the company payroll or hired from a third-party or day labor?
- Is your company licensed and an AMSA ProMover?
- If needed, could your company provide a Certificate of Insurance?
- Can you provide me with references from previous clients?
- What makes you different from other moving companies? Why should I choose your company?
Asking these questions will give you the confidence you need to know you are choosing a great moving company to take care of your relocation!
If you are looking for an exceptional moving company for your upcoming move, contact Olympia Moving & Storage for a free moving estimate at 800-222-4744 or request an estimate online. We are happy to answer any of your questions about the company and service!
You might also be interested in:
- Why is a Moving Company In-Home Survey Important?
- Non-Binding vs. Binding Moving Estimate
- Estimating the Number of Boxes for Moving